A smoke alarm has gone off in a Russian service module on the International Space Station (ISS), Russia’s space agency Roscosmos said Thursday, and Russian news agencies reported cosmonauts had smelled burning plastic.
The RIA news agency quoted Roscosmos as saying that all systems worked fine afterwards. Plans for a spacewalk later Thursday were still in effect, the space agency said.
Roscosmos said a smoke detector and alarm went off on the Zvezda service module, which provides accommodation for crew members on the ISS, when the batteries were charged overnight.
Referring to audio communications broadcast by the US space agency NASA, RIA reported that Russian cosmonaut Oleg Novitsky had seen and smelled smoke and that French astronaut Thomas Pesquet said the smell of burnt plastic or electronics had spread from the Russian segment to the US. part.
The space station has suffered a number of recent accidents.
Russian space officials said a software glitch and possible human attention caused the entire space station to move from its normal flight position 250 miles (400 km) above Earth in July with seven crew members on board.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NewsMadura staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.)