A ballistic missile attack targeting Saudi Arabia’s oil-rich eastern region was intercepted on Saturday, the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Houthi group in Yemen said in a statement from Saudi state media.
The missile was intercepted over the town of Dammam, according to a source familiar with the case who declined to be named and posts on social media.
The coalition blamed the attack by Iran-affiliated Houthi forces. There was no immediate claim of responsibility in the Houthi-led media.
The coalition also said it intercepted and destroyed ballistic missiles en route to Jazan and Najran, both in the southern part of the country.
The coalition also previously reported the interception of three explosive-laden drones en route to the Kingdom.
Eastern Saudi Arabia is home to significant oil infrastructure that was previously targeted and hit by air strikes. A September 2019 attack on two Aramco plants in the east temporarily shut down half of the country’s oil production.
The Yemeni Houthis, who regularly launch drones and missiles into the kingdom, have claimed responsibility for several attacks on Saudi oil installations in the past.
A source familiar with the matter said there was no impact on facilities of state-controlled oil giant Saudi Aramco and the attack took place outside Aramco’s facilities.
The Saudi Arabia-led military coalition intervened in Yemen in 2015, supporting troops of the deposed government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi in the fight against the Houthis.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NewsMadura staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.)