Actor Kangana Ranaut’s request to cancel the defamation case filed by poet and lyricist Javed Akhtar was rejected by the Bombay Supreme Court this morning.
With the Supreme Court refusing the exemption, the 34-year-old actor is due to appear in front of the Metropolitan Magistrate’s court next Tuesday (September 14).
The Mumbai court had asked her to be present last week (September 1) in the defamation case – brought against her by former Rajya Sabha MP Javed Akhtar. But the hearing was postponed because she had moved the High Court.
The court had warned at an earlier hearing that if the actor was not present in court at the next hearing, a warrant for her arrest would be issued.
Her attorney Rizwan Siddique had told the High Court that the Metropolitan Magistrate had “mechanically ordered the investigation against her under Section 202(1) of the CrPC without giving reasons”. He also said that Mr Akhtar’s witnesses were not interrogated under oath.
Javed Ahktar’s lawyer, Jay Bharadwaj, requested that the plea be dismissed, saying that “the magistrate had set his sights on opening an investigation after investigating Akhtar’s complaint”.
The 76-year-old seasoned writer and poet had filed charges against Kangana Ranaut with the Andheri City Magistrate in a television interview for making defamatory and baseless comments against him in a television interview.