The Assam government on Thursday withdrew its travel advice asking people not to travel to Mizoram following violence along the state border, officials said.
An order issued by the Commissioner and Secretary of the Home Affairs and Political Department, MS Mannivannan, said that, given the joint statement by the representatives of the governments of Assam and Mizoram, “the July 29 travel advisory has been withdrawn”.
Earlier in the day, the governments of Mizoram and Assam agreed to find a lasting solution to the age-old border dispute and take measures, including resuming interstate traffic and keeping the respective police forces out of the conflict zones, to to de-escalate tensions.
Representatives of the two states held a meeting in Aizawl to restore normalcy along the interstate border, where an uneasy calm reigns after six Assam police officers and a civilian were killed and 50 others injured in a clash between security forces on July 26. .
After the meeting, Assam’s Border Area Development Minister Atul Bora, who led the state delegation, told reporters that both sides have agreed to maintain peace along the border.
“Both states have welcomed the deployment of neutral forces to the disputed areas and have agreed not to send their respective police forces for patrol, domination, enforcement or new deployment to any of the areas where clashes and conflicts have occurred between police forces of the two states in recently,” said a joint statement by the two states.
The statement was signed by Mr Bora, the Commissioner and Secretary of his Department GD Tripathi, and the Interior Minister Lalchamliana of Mizoram and the Interior Minister Vanlalngathsaka.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NewsMadura staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.)