- Got civilian staff from the processing center at Abbey Gate: Dominic Raab
- Britain warned people not to come to the airport, Dominic Raab said
- Suicide bombing killed 13 US troops, dozens of Afghan civilians
Britain coordinated closely with the United States and urged not to keep a gate open at Kabul airport, where a suicide bomber killed 13 US troops and dozens of Afghan civilians, British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said Tuesday.
A Politico report on Monday said US troops decided to keep Abbey Gate open longer than they wanted Britain to continue evacuating personnel.
“We have taken our civilian personnel out of the processing center at Abbey Gate, but it is simply not true to suggest that other than securing our civilian personnel at the airport, we insisted on leaving the gate open,” Raab told Sky News.
He said Britain had taken mitigating measures, including warning people not to come to the airport.
“We also moved the civilian team that we had at the Baron Hotel to the airport because it was clearly not safe a stone’s throw from where the terrorist attack took place, but none of that would have been necessary or necessary Abbey Gate open leave,” he told BBC News.
Raab defended his response to the Taliban taking control of Afghanistan, rejecting reports that he had not done enough to prepare.
Raab, who was on vacation while the Taliban moved through Afghanistan, did not call Afghan or Pakistani foreign ministers in the six months before the crisis, the Sunday Times reported.
“Politics is a rough game,” he said. “Anyone who takes the time during a crisis to give a totally inaccurate, skewed series of reports is in my opinion not credible and is probably involved in shirking money themselves.”
He said Britain had been given safe passage for 17,000 people, including about 5,000 British nationals as of April, while the number in Afghanistan remains in the “low hundreds”.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NewsMadura staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.)