On Monday, the gigantic American airlift that brought tens of thousands of Afghans to safety came to an end. announced the Pentagon, but left tens of thousands more. And when the last planes took off and took the last American troops with them, the American military presence in Afghanistan disappeared after 20 harrowing years.
Sunday’s attack was carried out in a tense atmosphere following the suicide bombing at the airport that killed at least 170 civilians and 13 US servicemen.
With the Biden administration coming under scathing criticism for its planning and execution of the evacuation of tens of thousands of American citizens and Afghans, the pressure to avoid a second attack was high. The U.S. military said on Saturday it had killed the bombing planner in another drone strike Friday night.
Relatives who witnessed the explosion said Mr Ahmadi and several children were killed in his car; others were mortally wounded in rooms along the courtyard. The family’s SUV, parked next to the Corolla in the narrow confines of the courtyard, was set on fire as smoke filled the house.
Ms. Ahmadi, the driver’s daughter, stumbled out, choking, to see the dismembered bodies of her siblings and relatives. “I’ve seen the whole scene,” she said.
An Afghan health official confirmed that local hospitals received several bodies transferred from the home by ambulance, including those of three children. A funeral took place later Monday afternoon in Kabul containing the victims’ 10 coffins, some of which were closed because the bodies had been so mutilated.
Among the victims was her cousin and fiancé, Ahmad Naser, 30, a former army officer and US military contractor, who had come from Herat, in western Afghanistan, in hopes of being evacuated from Kabul.