A Samsung Galaxy A21 device is said to have caught fire on an Alaska Airlines flight to Seattle. The entire flight was evacuated due to this incident. Local reports say the phone was burned beyond recognition, but an airport spokesperson has reportedly confirmed that the handset is Galaxy A21. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined. The fire broke out after the flight landed at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, forcing the crew to deploy evacuation slides to get everyone out. Flight 751’s crew reportedly used fire extinguishers and a battery bag to prevent the phone from smoking.
Seattle Times reports that a spokesperson for the Port of Seattle, Perry Cooper, has confirmed that the phone that caught fire on the Alaska Airlines flight was a Samsung Galaxy A21 model. In an email, Cooper confirmed the publication: “After much digging, I can tell you that the phone was burned beyond recognition. However, during an interview with one of our police officers at the Port of Seattle, the passenger said that the phone was a Samsung Galaxy A21 Again, we couldn’t confirm by looking at the remains of the device.”
When the fire broke out, the crew reportedly tried to contain the smoke using a battery collection bag. But the amount of smoke reportedly forced the deployment of evacuation slides. More than 128 passengers and crew were bussed to the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport terminal. The airport tweeted that some minor injuries and bruises were reported. The Alaska Airlines plane was towed to a gate and operations at the airport were not affected.
This isn’t the first time Samsung has gone under the radar as its phones explode and catch fire. There was a recall of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 after several reports of explosions were reported from many parts of the world. In April, an alleged Samsung phone in a man’s bag suddenly caught fire in China. His hair, arm and eyelashes were scorched. The man claimed it was a Samsung phone he bought in 2016. He also said that the phone’s battery had not been replaced and that it was not charged when it caught fire.
For the latest tech news and reviews, follow Gadgets 360 Twitter, Facebook and Google News. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for the latest gadgets and technology videos.
Amazon Echo Show 8 (2nd Gen) with Improved Camera, Auto-Framing Launched in India