Edited by: Sharya Sharma
Last updated: January 18, 2023, 3:55 PM IST
Google’s Stadia is finally coming to a halt today, after the company announced plans in November last year. Since then, Google and developers have spoken out on things like transferring in-game progress to other services, refunding purchases, and even announcing the availability of a Bluetooth mode for the Stadia controller.
Now, Google has finally released the browser-based update tool that lets you enable Bluetooth Low Energy connections so you can continue gaming wirelessly on your devices even after the service shuts down.
Before you get started, keep in mind that once you switch to Bluetooth mode, it’s permanent and you won’t be able to switch back to Wi-Fi to play on Stadia. This shouldn’t be a problem since the service is shutting down today anyway. And make sure you are using the latest update available for Chrome browser. In addition, users have until December 31, 2023 to switch to Bluetooth mode.
Follow this step-by-step guide to put your Stadia Controller in Bluetooth mode:
- Go to Google Stadia website.
- Once you open the website, you will see a box that says “Switch to Bluetooth mode.” Click here.
- The page now asks “What do you want to do with your Stadia Controller?” and shows you two choices: ‘Switch to Bluetooth mode’ and ‘Check mode and updates’.
- Since we want to switch to Bluetooth mode, click ‘Start’.
- Here you need to connect your Stadia controller to your computer, but make sure it has enough charge, at least 10%.
- Then Chrome will ask you to verify the device. Click “Allow Chrome to Verify.”
- After verification, a new dialog will open asking you to connect. Tap Connect.
- Next, you need to unlock your Stadia controller by pressing button prompts.
- Disconnect the control.
- Hold down the option button while plugging the power cord back in.
- Press the option button, the Google Assistant button, and the A and Y buttons at the same time.
- If the status light turns on, press and hold the Stadia button for four seconds to force close and try again.
- After unlocking your controller, proceed to download the Bluetooth mode update.
- Let Chrome download the update and connect. Here your controller may appear as a Stadia Controller, SP Blank RT Family, or USB COMPOSITE DEVICE.
- In the last step, follow the on-screen instructions to install the Bluetooth mode update on your Stadia Controller.
How do I put the Stadia Controller into Bluetooth pairing mode?
To connect your Stadia Controller to devices wirelessly via Bluetooth, simply press the Y and Stadia buttons together for two seconds. The status light will flash orange to indicate that the controller is now in pairing mode.
Read all the latest technical news here