A six-year-old Afghan boy evacuated from Kabul has died in Poland after eating poisonous mushrooms, doctors said Friday, a day after the death of his five-year-old brother.
The two boys arrived with their families in Poland on August 23 after the Taliban takeover and were quarantined at a migrant facility in the town of Podkowa Lesna near Warsaw.
“The death of the child has been registered,” the Children’s Memorial Health Institute in Warsaw said in a statement.
The six-year-old had undergone a liver transplant earlier this week, but his condition did not improve.
According to the hospital, the children ate the mushrooms the day after they arrived in unexplained circumstances.
The Office for Foreigners, which manages migrant centers in Poland, said a total of five people needed medical attention for stomach problems, but had not initially said they had eaten mushrooms.
The brothers and their 17-year-old sister were taken to hospital on August 26 and 27. The sister was later fired.
Prosecutors have opened an investigation into the incident.
Jakub Dudziak, a spokesman for the Immigration Office, had denied a press release that the children had eaten the mushrooms because they were not getting enough to eat at the center.
Evacuees are given ‘three meals a day’, consisting of varied ingredients with appropriate calorific value, including dairy products, meat, vegetables, fruits and drinks.
“In connection with this unfortunate accident, employees of centers for foreigners will raise awareness among Afghan citizens not to consume products of unknown origin,” Dudziak said.
The news portal OKO.press reported that the children’s father, an accountant, worked for the British army for several years.
After the victory of the Taliban, the family was evacuated by the Polish army at the request of Great Britain.
Poland has evacuated 1,231 people from Afghanistan, many of them on behalf of third countries and international organizations such as the European Union.
(This story was not edited by NewsMadura staff and was generated automatically from a syndicated feed.)