Foxconn on Wednesday confirmed an outbreak of “violence” at its massive factory in central China after footage emerged of workers clashing with security personnel during protests at the factory.
In a statement, the company said workers had complained about wages and working conditions at the factory but denied it had housed new recruits with Covid-positive staff at its Zhengzhou factory, the world’s largest producer of iPhones.
“With regard to violence, the company will continue to communicate with employees and the government to prevent similar incidents from happening again,” the Taiwanese tech giant said in a statement.
Videos shared on Weibo and Twitter, verified by AFP, show hundreds of workers marching down a road in daylight, some facing riot police and people in safety suits.
The Taiwanese tech giant, Apple’s main subcontractor, has seen a surge in Covid-19 cases at its Zhengzhou site, prompting the company to shut down the massive complex in an effort to contain the virus.
Since then, the massive facility of about 200,000 employees — dubbed “iPhone City” — has operated in a “closed loop” bubble.
Footage emerged this month of panicked workers fleeing the site en masse on foot after allegations of poor conditions at the facility.
Several employees later told AFP of scenes of chaos and disorganization in the complex of workshops and dormitories.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NewsMadura staff and is being published from a syndicated feed.)
Featured video of the day
FIFA World Cup: Messi’s Argentina suffer a shock 1-2 defeat to Saudi Arabia