The United States believes there are still fewer than 250 Americans in Afghanistan willing to leave, a senior US official said Monday on the eve of the deadline for a complete withdrawal of US troops from the country.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Sunday there were fewer than 300 Americans in Afghanistan who wanted to be evacuated.
The US official said Monday the number is “below 250”.
“We think there are still a small number left and we are trying to determine exactly how many,” said the official, requesting anonymity.
“From those who identified themselves in Afghanistan as Americans considering leaving the country since Aug. 14, we have received confirmation so far that about 6,000 have been evacuated or otherwise departed, meaning they were traveling commercially,” the official said.
President Joe Biden has set August 31 as the deadline for a complete withdrawal of the US military from Afghanistan.
The Pentagon said Monday that more than 122,000 people, including 5,400 Americans, have been evacuated since July.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NewsMadura staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.)